The Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness (VCEH) and local partners are excited to announce the availability of an AmeriCorps VISTA member position to support local efforts to end homelessness among veterans. The VISTA member will join VCEH staff, state and national partners, and our service provider partners across Virginia who are working to reduce and end veteran homelessness in the state by sharing best practices, providing training and education, and organizing meetings and events to bring together stakeholders to implement strategies to end homelessness among veterans. The VISTA member will join a network of five VCEH VISTA members already serving across the state in four Continuums of Care (CoCs) to support the transition to a sustainable and more effective homeless response system.
VISTA Member duties include:
The VCEH VISTA member will serve in VCEH’s office in Richmond, VA, and work with community leaders across the state to implement strategies to end veteran homelessness in Virginia. The VISTA member will play a lead role in coordinating a campaign to ramp up efforts to house veterans experiencing homelessness. The VISTA member will work with local governments, nonprofits, state agency officials, public housing authorities, veteran service organizations, and other partners to share best practices, coordinate training and educational events, and gain media attention on the issue and solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree a plus
- Experience and/or interest in community collaboration and organizing
- Previous project management experience with demonstrated organizational skills and ability to manage project deadlines
- Ability to take initiative to implement projects and pursue goals
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, presentation and written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft WORD and EXCEL
- Experience in homelessness, housing, veterans, community development, nonprofit management, and other relevant experience strongly preferred
- Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply
About the AmeriCorps VISTA program:
VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) was founded in 1965 as a national service program designed specifically to fight poverty in America. In 1993, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs under CNCS (Corporation for National & Community Service). AmeriCorps VISTA members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency for a modest living stipend. VISTA members build permanent infrastructure in nonprofit organizations to help them more effectively bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
Benefits of Service:
- Living allowance of $435 every two weeks
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 OR end-of-service stipend of $1,500
- Health benefits
- Federal student loan forbearance/deferment during service
- Relocation assistance
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Support from VISTA Leader
Only applications submitted through the AmeriCorps online system will receive consideration.
Click HERE to view the opportunity listing and submit your application online.
The Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness (VCEH) is the statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing and ending homelessness in the Commonwealth of Virginia through capacity building, community collaboration, education, and advocacy. Our work is predicated on the knowledge that there are solutions to homelessness. Our priorities include increasing investment in housing focused solutions including permanent supportive housing and rapid re-housing, and building the capacity of Virginia’s services system to prevent and end homelessness permanently.